Books & Articles
Compiling this has taken me back to the Research Assessment Exercise of 2008 for UK Universities, when I and two other co-workers were responsible for entering all the Faculty outputs on a monolithic database endearingly entitled “The Research Gateway”. You had to verify each entry, sometime provided on a scrap of paper, to make sure it was accurate.
There were conversations that went
“And what is the precise title of your book?”
“Not sure. But it’s that big blue one on the second shelf above the computer in your office…”
“Here I have the published version of the chapter you wrote for X book….”
“That’s not the title I wanted to give it. I want to use the title I like for the RAE.”
So I apologize now for imprecise titles and hopeful rather than accurate references.
The jstor links can be accessed in full via institutional logins. This won’t help everybody, for which I am sorry.
- Adamson, Melitta Weiss. Food in Medieval Times. Food Through History series. Greenwood Press, 2004.
- Ashe, Geoffrey, ed. The Quest for Arthur’s Britain. Paladin Books, 1976
- Baigent, Michael, Richard Leigh & Henry Lincoln. The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail. London 1983.
- Baigent, Michael, Richard Leigh & Henry Lincoln. The Messianic Legacy. London 1987.
- Beroul. The Romance of Tristan. And the Tale of Tristan’s Madness. Translated by Alan S Fedrick. Harmondworth, 1982
- Blamires, David. Characterization and Individuality in Wolfram’s ‘Parzival’. Canbridge, 1966.
- Bowen, Sarah & Annette Volfing eds. Punishment and Penitential Practices in Medieval German Writing. KCLMS XXVI, London 2018
- Bryant, Nigel. The Legend of the Grail. Boydell & Brewer 2006.
- Caples, CB. Faces of the Hero: Feirefiz in Wolfram von Eschenbach’s Parzival. Texas Studies in Literature and Language, Vol. 17, No. 3 (Fall 1975), pp. 543-549 http://www.jstor.org/stable/40754398
- Carnegy, Patrick. Wagner and the Art of the Theatre: The Operas in Stage Performance. Yale University Press, 2006
- Chrétien de Troyes. Arthurian Romances. Translated by William W Kibbler. Harmondworth, 1991
- Chrissochoidis, Ilias & Steffen Huck. Elsa’s reason: On beliefs and motives in Wagner’s “Lohengrin”. Cambridge Opera Journal, Vol. 22, No. 1 (MARCH 2010), pp. 65-91 https://www.jstor.org/stable/41300502
- Christoph, Siegfried. An Onomastic Note on Wolfram’s Gahmuret. Colloquia Germanica, Vol. 43, No. 4 (2010), pp. 273-283 https://www.jstor.org/stable/23981893
- DiGaetani, John Louis. Wagner Outside The Ring. Essays on the Operas, Their Performance and Their Connections with other Arts. North Carolina, 2009
- Dreyfus, Laurence. Wagner and the Erotic Impulse. Harvard University Press, 2010
- Engels, Donald W. Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army. University of California Press, 1980.
- Gaunt, Simon & Sarah Kay, eds. The Troubadours. An Introduction. Cambridge University Press, 1999
- Gies, Frances. The Knight In History. London, 1986
- Gray, Clayton Jr. The Symbolic Role of Wolfram’s Feirefiz. The Journal of English and Germanic Philology, Vol. 73, No. 3 (Jul., 1974), pp. 363-374 http://www.jstor.org/stable/27707749
- Grimbert, Joan Tasker, ed. Tristan and Isolde. A Casebook. Routledge, 2002.
- Gottfried von Strassburg. Tristan. With the ‘Tristan’ of Thomas. Translated AH Hatto. Harmondsworth, 1967
- Heer, Friedrich. Charlemagne And His World. London, 1975
- John, Simon. Godfrey of Bouillon. Duke of Lower Lotharingia, Ruler of Latin Jerusalem, c. 1060-1100. Routledge, 2019.
- Karras, Ruth Mazo. Sexuality in Medieval Europe. Doing Unto Others. Routledge, 2015
- Kears, Carl & James Paz, eds. Medieval Science Fiction. KCLMS, London 2016
- Keegan, John. The Face of Battle. Harmondsworth 1983
- Kehew, Robert, ed. Lark in the Morning. The Verses of the Troubadours. A Bilingual edition. Translation by Ezra Pound, WD Snodgrass & Robert Kehew. University of Chicago Press, 2005
- Kindermann, William & Katherine R Syer, eds. A Companion to Wagner’s Parsifal. Boydell & Brewer 2010.
- Kletke, Daniel. Richard Wagner’s Creative Processes: “Parsifal”. Arthuriana, Vol. 11, No. 1, Wagner and the Arthurian Legend (SPRING 2001), pp. 83-92 http://www.jstor.org/stable/27869611
- Krumpelmann, John T. Gerstaecker’s “Germelshausen” and Lerner’s “Brigadoon”. Monatshefte, Vol. 40, No. 7 (Nov., 1948), pp. 396-400 https://www.jstor.org/stable/30164745
- Matthews, John. The Elements Of The Grail Tradition. Element Books, 1993
- McCann, Abbot Justin OSB. The Rule of St Benedict. London 1963
- McSpadden, JW. Stories from Wagner. Harrap & Co, 1931
- Moncrieff, AR Hope. Romance And Legend Of Chivalry. New York, 1978
- Mortimer, Ian. The Time Traveller’s Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century. London, 2009
- Nicholson, Helen J. Love, War, and the Grail. Templars, Hospitallers, and Teutonic Knights in Medieval Epic and Romance, 1150-1500. Brill, 2004
- Painter, Sidney. French Chivalry. New York, 1965
- Parshall, Linda B. The Art Of Narration In Wolfram’s ‘Parzival’ and Albrecht’s ‘Jüngerer Titurel’. Cambridge 1981
- Rahn, Otto. Crusade Against the Grail. The Struggle between the Cathars, the Templars, and the Church of Rome. Translated and annotated by Christopher John. Rochester, Vermontm 2006
- Richard, Margaret Fitzgerald. Gahmuret Anschevin. London, 1923
- Richey, Margaret Fitzgerald. Studies of Wolfram Von Eschenbach. London, 1957
- Riches, Samantha. St George: A Saint for All. Reaktion, London, 2015
- Riches, Samantha. St George Hero, Martyr and Myth. Sutton Publishing, 2000
- Sacker, Hugh. An Introduction To Wolfram’s ‘Parzival’. Cambridge 1963
- Sigal, Gale. Erotic Dawnsongs of the Middle Ages Voicing the Lyric Lady. University Press of Florida, 1996
- Spahr, Blake Lee. Gahmuret’s Erection: Rising to Adventure. Monatshefte, Vol. 83, No. 4 (Winter, 1991), pp. 403-413 http://www.jstor.org/stable/30166474 .
- Spotts, Frederic. Bayreuth: A History of the Bayreuth Festival. Yale University Press, 1994
- Stein, WJ. The Ninth Century and the Holy Grail. Translated by Irene Groves, revised by John M Wood. Temple Lodge, 1991.
- The Death of King Arthur. Translated by James Cable. Harmondsworth, 1978
- The Quest of the Holy Grail. Translated by PM Matarasso. Harmondsworth, 1969
- Thomas, JW. Tannhäuser: Poet and Legend With Texts and Translations of his Works. University of North Carolina Press, 1974
- Wagner, Richard. Parsifal. Lucy Beckett. Cambridge Opera Handbook. CUP, 1995.
- Wagner, Richard. Parsifal. Overture Opera Guide. OneWorld Classics. 2011.
- Weiss, Julian & Sarah Salih, eds. Locating the Middle Ages. The Spaces and Places of Medieval Culture. KCLMS XXIII, London 2012
- Whitworth, Julia C. Parallel Narratives: Function and Form in the Munich Illustrated Manuscripts of Tristan and Willehalm von Orlens. KCLMS XX, London 2007
- Weston, Jessie L. From Ritual To Romance. Doubleday Anchors Books, 1957 Zuckerman, Arthur J. A Jewish Princedom in Feudal France 768-900. Columbia University Press, 1972